The Triple A Mom.......Allergies, Asthma & Autism

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

That child doesn't have ADD......he has a case of BAD

Living with autism and having to go to public places can sometimes be a chore. It can sometimes be an adventure and sometimes it seems like a circus....Your very own little BIG TOP.....three rings.....wild animals running everywhere.....one announcer trying to keep or maintain control but everyone is watching the side show and not paying attention to the lil ole announcer, including the wild animals. I am assuming that I don't have to explain who's who in that scenario!

One day about a year ago, I had to take Crockett to the allergist and the Southaven office was closed so we had to go to the one off of Walnut Grove on Humphreys. I asked my mom to go with me so I didn't have to drive out there by myself AND so we could go shopping afterward since we would be so close to Saddle Creek. Well, this meant we would have Trey with us at the doctor but he was doing so much better with his anger and loud outburst and general meltdowns that I figured it would be fine.

We all walk into the allergist to find a big waiting room with a play area for children. We were very relieved to see both because we knew the play area would assist in helping entertain the boys and the waiting room being big would help cut down on my kids annoying other guests. Crockett and Trey migrated to the play area and my mother sat down to wait while I checked us in. While checking in, Trey quickly became bored with the "kitchen" play area and started trying to take a car from Crockett. When Crockett wouldn't give it up, Trey began screaming and having a meltdown. My mother ran to him and held him, calming him down. Everyone watched and no one said a word but when your child has a meltdown in public no one has to say a word.....you can read it in their expressions. When she let Trey go again, he ran straight for the door to the back of the offices and opened it, just to watch it shut. He did this one more time and I walked over and pulled him back to the play area to redirect his focus on something less distracting and less annoying to those around. At this point Crockett told me he had to go potty and since it was so new for him, I had to go immediately. Mom had charge of Trey while I took Crockett. I wasnt gone but for a minute and when I got back, mom was furious....she didnt start crying until I asked what was wrong and she continued snatching things up and pulled Trey by the arm out of the room.
Now, if you know my mom, you know that she is VERY non confrontational! She avoids confrontations like the plague! She had taken Trey out to my car to watch a movie so I called her to find out what happened while I waited. Apparently, while I was gone Trey was running around like a crazy man.....getting into things, opening doors and closing doors and just doing things that a recent 5 year old shouldnt do. It didn't help that he was WAY bigger than he should have been at that age because people always expected him to act older than he was.
Mom preceeded to tell me that the lady at the counter (who had already been very short with me form the beginning, pre Trey craziness) was watching trey and glairing at him every time he did ANYTHING. Mom finally had enough of it and let that lady have it! Mom told her that she didn't appreciate the way she was acting toward Trey and that God forbid she ever have a family member or someone she loves be diagnosed with Autism.
I was LIVID! I decided not to cause a scene because my mother had already spoken our peace and said enough AND the rest of the staff was very very kind and understanding. I didn't want to punish the rest of the people just to get to one lady. So I did the next best thing......I hand wrote a letter to the Office Manager. Instead of degrading that lady, I just explained what had happened and offered a solution to their problem. AWARENESS! I suggested that they print pamphlets or information sheets or even offer a class on dealing with developmentally delayed children or children living wtih Autism. I really didn't want this lady to lose her job but I did want her to understand that judging a situation and not knowing the entire context was unexcusable for anyone especially in a place of business.
A few weeks later at my doctor visit in the Southaven office, Dr. Treadwell told me that the problem had been addressed and that they were taking necessary steps to ensure tolerance and awareness was being taught to their manager.
My word of advice for the day is this: If you are out and there is a child having meltdown or if there is a family situation that you think looks like a discipline problem, PLEASE do not judge these people! There will be exceptions to this rule from time to time. However, it is still not your business. Next time you have that overwhelming urge to GLARE at someone who's child is throwing a fit in Target or maybe the urge to SLAP someones kid who is crying uncontrollably in Walmart or if you are thinking, "why doesn't that mother spank that child. All he needs is a good spanking", remember that walking a mile in someone elses shoes is sometimes harder than it looks! And if you don't believe me, I have a 6 year old with developmental delays that will give you the perspective that you need to NEVER.....EVER.....think that it's just a BAD child!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my Goodness You really Hit the "Nail on the Head" with this one for me! , I have 2 boys both with Ad/Hd along with my Oldest having Aspergers Syndrome, and it can get very hectic when out in public and dealing with those people who have no idea what goes on daily in my life, or what it is like to be raising not only one special needs child but two!....

    ReplyDelete