The Triple A Mom.......Allergies, Asthma & Autism

Friday, January 29, 2010

KFC........Kids (are) Freakin Crazy!

I had left church Wednesday night and had forgotten to get some dinner for my husband, John. As I drove home, I decided to stop at KFC in Hernando to get him something. We are on a very strict budget right now and I only had $10 in cash on me. There was nothing in the house to eat either. I assumed that I could definitely get his favorite meal of Mashed Potato Bowl and Chicken Pot Pie for ten bucks! You would think, right? Well, while I am on the interstate, I am talking to John on the phone and the boys are in the back of the car going crazy. Crockett is hollering "MOM.....MOM....MOMMA.....HEY MOM....MOMMY......MOMMMMMAAAAA." and Trey is giggling and poking and bugging Crockett who, in between each mom, is squealing at the top of his lungs. As soon as I get off the phone, they stop. So I get to KFC and have to make sure I am getting the right thing for John and I pick the phone up again. IMMEDIATELY, they start in again......screaming, squealing, laughing, hollering.....anything that is LOUD. I get off the phone, only this time the boys don't stop being crazy. I start trying to place my order and can't even hear myself think. I politely ask the order taker to hold on for a second. He agrees and I turn and lose my cool and yell, "SHUT IT!!!!" My heart was racing and I was so angry because the boys made me lose my cool. You see, I am normally a very even tempered and pleasant person. I can tune out almost anything and can be nice even when in a bad mood but that night, for some reason, I couldnt. Trying to remain calm, I asked the guy taking my order how much the bowls & pot pies were individually (they only had the meals posted) and explained to him that I had ten dollars and THAT WAS ALL and I needed to make sure that I didn't go over that amount. He said they were four something and I should be fine. So I pull forward for my total and the boys start in again. Furious at the lack of respect my kids had for me and the fact that I didnt have any way, short from leaving the drive thru, to escape, I rolled the window up and tore into my kids. I took off my seat belt, turned around so I could look them in the eye and, with steam radiating from my ears, calmly but oh so firmly and with that psychotic mom look, explained to them that I was about "this close" to losing it and if they made one more peep, I was going to get out of the car, pull them each out one by one and wear them out on their bare bottom. Wanna talk about quiet....you coulda heard a pin drop in that car. However, my heart was still beating 90 to nothin and I still wasn't calm. Poor guy at the window. He opened the window and proceeded to tell me that my total was $10.96. Once again, I blew up. With extreme annoyance, I said, "I THOUGHT YOU SAID THEY WERE FOUR SOMETHING AND I WOULD BE FINE. So, because you said that and all I have is 10 bucks in cash.........HERE IS MY 10 BUCKS, I HAVE NO MORE MONEY. GIMME MY FOOD." He must have sensed that I was at my breaking point because he sweetly said, "Yes, ma'am." and took my money from me. With a smile, he returned to the window with my food, thanked me (I guess for not pulling out a pistol) and I drove away.

Let's just say, I am not proud of my actions on that night but I must say that sometimes you do have an excuse. MY KIDS MADE ME DO IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment